Restrictions With A Port

Question

Can I run with the port in my chest? I ran 2 Marathons last year and I was a very active runner until I was diagonosed with stage 3c colon cancer. I have only had one Chemo session so far.

Answer

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

I see no reason why you cannot run with the port. My only concern would be running while it is accessed for infusion- only because I would worry that the needle could come out of the port and then the chemo would accumulate under the skin- so maybe take the day off if you have home infusion. Good for you for keeping up your activity!

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Colorectal cancer Webchat. View the entire transcript here.

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

Caloric Restriction Linked to Slowed Aging in Monkeys

Sep 1, 2015

Rhesus monkeys on program had less death from age-related disease, less muscle-mass decline

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

Magnetic resonance imaging not considered a good use of resources in study group of patients

Feb 15, 2010