Someone To Care For My Children

Question

I’m a single parent being treated for cancer. How do I make arrangements for someone to care for my children?

Answer

Rodney N. Warner, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, responds:

Many states (PA and NJ included) have standby guardianship laws. They enable you to nominate someone to be guardian of your child if you become mentally and/or physically incapacitated, or die. Procedures vary from state to state. The other parent would have to consent to someone else taking this role, or would have to be shown as unfit to care for the child.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Legal & Financial Challenges Facing People with Cancer. View the entire transcript here.