Colonoscopy Under 50 Years Old

I have several family members who have had colon cancer. I want to have screening (I am 35) but my insurance company doesn't want to pay for it. Any advice?

Carmen E. Guerra, M.D., M.S., Associate Professor of Medicine at Penn Medicine, responds:

Technically, screening colonoscopy are for patients who are over 50 years old and who have no symptoms. If you have several members who have had colorectal cancer, your doctor should request a diagnostic colonoscopy for a family history of colorectal cancer, not a screening colonoscopy.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript of Advances in Colorectal Cancer Screening.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

USPSTF Recommends CRC Screening for 50- to 75-Year-Olds

Grade A recommendation for 50- to 75-year-olds; individualized decision urged for those age 76 to 85

Older Women Can Safely Undergo Mammography Biennially

Mar 21, 2013

Women 40 to 49 years old with very dense breasts should undergo annual mammography

Canadian Task Force Issues Breast CA Screening Guidelines

Nov 22, 2011

Routine mammography not recommended for 40- to 49-year-olds; but is for 50- to 74-year olds