Colonoscopy Under 50 Years Old

Question

I have several family members who have had colon cancer. I want to have screening (I am 35) but my insurance company doesn't want to pay for it. Any advice?

Answer

Carmen E. Guerra, M.D., M.S., Associate Professor of Medicine at Penn Medicine, responds:

Technically, screening colonoscopy are for patients who are over 50 years old and who have no symptoms. If you have several members who have had colorectal cancer, your doctor should request a diagnostic colonoscopy for a family history of colorectal cancer, not a screening colonoscopy.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript of Advances in Colorectal Cancer Screening.

Canadian Task Force Issues Breast CA Screening Guidelines

Nov 22, 2011 - For women at average risk of breast cancer, routine mammography screening is not recommended for 40- to 49-year-olds, and is recommended every two to three years for 50- to 74-year-olds, according to the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care's screening guidelines published in the Nov. 22 issue of CMAJ, the journal of the Canadian Medical Association.