See a PT After Surgery to Prevent Lymphedema?

Last Modified: July 22, 2011

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Should I see a physical therapist after cancer surgery to prevent lymphedema?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Andrea Richtel-Branas, MSE, MPT, Lead Therapist, Good Shepherd Penn Partners, responds:

A physical therapist can help to educate you on your risk for lymphedema. At this time we do not know how to prevent lymphedema - but we do know ways to minimize your risk. You should talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a qualified lymphedema threrapist.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.