Finding A Music Therapist

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Is there a website where I can find a reputable music therapist in my area?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Tony Meadows PhD MT-BC FAMI LPC is Director of Music Therapy at Immaculata University and Music Therapist at the Joan Karnell Cancer Center at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

You should always look for the MT-BC designation - Board Certified Music Therapist. This means the music therapist has completed a 4 1/2 year degree program from an approved college/university. You can search for a music therapist in your area through www.cbmt.org. There is also a website for the American Music Therapy Association - www.musictherapy.org

Music therapy training can also be undertaken at the Masters and PhD level, so you should look for advanced training in the field, in addition to the MT-BC designation, when looking for someone in your area.

Learn more in Tony's article about guided imagery & music therapy!

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.