Screening a Young Child With MEN Mutation

Question

My son has inherited my MEN I mutation (according to a lab done at UNC in April 2011). What are some things I need to look at before he turns five, if any? And what are the specific tests that need to be done at age five?

Answer

Kate Nathanson, MD, assistant professor in the division of Medical Genetics at Penn Medicine, responds:

As the recommendations for this disease are not set in stone (differently than other such syndromes) vary depending on the physician and might change by the time he reaches age 5, I would not give exact recommendations for screening at this point.
There is nothing to do before age 5 but they should consult their local cancer geneticist for specific recommendations. You can find a local geneticist at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/genetics/directory

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat transcript.