Flu Shot on Chemotherapy?

Question

I have lung cancer and am getting chemotherapy. Can/should I get a flu shot?

Answer

Susie Stonehouse-Lee, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner at Penn Medicine, responds:

Patients receiving chemotherapy should receive a flu shot. Compromise to the immune system, as chemotherapy may due by decreasing your blood counts, puts you in a higher risk group for getting the flu. Please discuss this with your provider, but in general, it is recommended for you to get the shot. You should wait if you are sick or have had a recent fever. Learn more about flu shots for people with cancer on OncoLink.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entirel transcript from the Focus on Lung Cancer webchat.

Caring for people with advanced lung cancer