Too Late To Treat Mesothelioma?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Our current insurance provider has been disinterested at best in treating my father's condition. It seems they have the mindset that there is "nothing to do." We have pushed & pushed, but to nothing but a runaround. He is 8 months into diagnosis at age 59, post surgery. How do we know when it's too late to seek alternative treatment?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Dan Sterman, MD, Interventional Pulmonologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

As long as a patient is well enough, it is never too late in my opinion to consider alternative treatment, which includes consideration of experimental clinical trials. Consider consulting with an expert in the treatment of mesothelioma for their opinion. The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation can help you identify an expert.

Learn more about clinical trial options through OncoLink's Clinical Trials Matching Service.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Mesothelioma transcript.

I wish u knew... Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
by Timothy J. Hampshire
December 03, 2012

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

Biomarker Can Help Identify Pleural Mesothelioma

Fibulin-3 can distinguish from asbestos exposure or lung fluids unrelated to mesothelioma

Radical pleurectomy, photodynamic therapy improve malignant pleural mesothelioma outcome

Jun 14, 2011

Mesothelioma Deaths Expected to Peak in 2010

Sep 2, 2015

CDC report urges 'meticulous control of exposure to asbestos' to put and keep the disease in decline