Too Late To Treat Mesothelioma?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Our current insurance provider has been disinterested at best in treating my father's condition. It seems they have the mindset that there is "nothing to do." We have pushed & pushed, but to nothing but a runaround. He is 8 months into diagnosis at age 59, post surgery. How do we know when it's too late to seek alternative treatment?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Dan Sterman, MD, Interventional Pulmonologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

As long as a patient is well enough, it is never too late in my opinion to consider alternative treatment, which includes consideration of experimental clinical trials. Consider consulting with an expert in the treatment of mesothelioma for their opinion. The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation can help you identify an expert.

Learn more about clinical trial options through OncoLink's Clinical Trials Matching Service.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Mesothelioma transcript.

May make possible earlier detection, treatment of these aggressive cancers

Sep 29, 2010 - Researchers have identified new biomarkers that can be used to detect pancreatic cancer and mesothelioma at early stages, according to research presented at the American Association for Cancer Research International Conference on Molecular Diagnostics in Cancer Therapeutic Development, held from Sept. 27 to 30 in Denver.

Understanding prostate cancer screening