Pregnancy and Breast Cancer

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

Does pregnancy make you more likely to develop breast cancer? I have been hearing more and more about women who find out they have breast cancer when they are pregnant.

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

Pregnancy does not increase the risk of getting breast cancer. Women do get breast cancer during pregnancy, but it is actually quite uncommon, and you need not be concerned.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

EBCC: Pregnancy Does Not Promote Breast Cancer Relapse

Mar 23, 2012 - Women who have been diagnosed with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer can safely become pregnant without increasing the risk of recurrence, according to a study presented at the annual European Breast Cancer Conference, held from March 21 to 24 in Vienna.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment