Safety of Pregnancy After Breast Cancer

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

How long after breast cancer treatment is it safe to become pregnant? Will the hormones of pregnancy increase the risk of my cancer coming back?

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

First, the hormonal situation during pregnancy does not appear to increase the risk of cancer coming back. Second, there is no agreed-upon interval from diagnosis to a "safe" time to get pregnant. In general, we recommend that patients wait two years at least before conceiving. Consider discussing your case with a breast cancer specialist.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

Pregnancy Can Mean Delayed Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Apr 25, 2015 - Although pregnancy may conceal breast cancer in younger women and lead to a delay in diagnosis, evaluation and treatment, pregnancy-associated breast cancers are not associated with a worse outcome compared to non-pregnancy-associated breast cancers, according to research published online Feb. 9 in Cancer.

The Controversy of Screening