Safety of Pregnancy After Breast Cancer

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

How long after breast cancer treatment is it safe to become pregnant? Will the hormones of pregnancy increase the risk of my cancer coming back?

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

First, the hormonal situation during pregnancy does not appear to increase the risk of cancer coming back. Second, there is no agreed-upon interval from diagnosis to a "safe" time to get pregnant. In general, we recommend that patients wait two years at least before conceiving. Consider discussing your case with a breast cancer specialist.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

EBCC: Pregnancy Does Not Promote Breast Cancer Relapse

Mar 23, 2012 - Women who have been diagnosed with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer can safely become pregnant without increasing the risk of recurrence, according to a study presented at the annual European Breast Cancer Conference, held from March 21 to 24 in Vienna.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment