TRAM Flap and Future Pregnancy

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

I am 31 years old and just diagnosed with an early stage breast cancer, but due to family history, my doctor is recommending a double mastectomy. If I have the TRAM flap surgery, will I still be able to have a successful pregnancy in the future?

Answer

Brian Czerniecki, MD, Breast , responds:

In general with free flap reconstruction you can become pregnant the down side you would stretch out your abdomen again. Often with young patients they do not have enough tissue. As to whether you need bilateral mastectomy if your tumor is small you can do either lumpectomy and radiation or mastectomy. The non-involved breast does not need to be touched if you do prophylactic mastectomy you get 25% risk reduction of future breast cancer incidence.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

Pregnancy Can Mean Delayed Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Sep 17, 2014 - Although pregnancy may conceal breast cancer in younger women and lead to a delay in diagnosis, evaluation and treatment, pregnancy-associated breast cancers are not associated with a worse outcome compared to non-pregnancy-associated breast cancers, according to research published online Feb. 9 in Cancer.

3D Mammography: What is it?