Getting Back To Life As A Survivor

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Question

Can you offer some advice on how to get back to life in a non-cancer treatment world for someone who has finished treatment and is now a "survivor?" I feel a bit disjointed and unsure how to get back to normal. Also, can you recommend some resources?

Answer

Michael Corradetti, MD, PhD, Radiation Oncology Resident at Penn Medicine, responds:

Cancer survivorship is an understudied field. Therapies such as chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery can (occasionally) lead to continued side effects months or years after the treatment is complete.

Patients who have difficulty re-adjusting can sometimes derive benefit from survivorship support groups. One excellent web resource that I recommend, where you can generate a "survivorship plan," is www.livestrongcareplan.org.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

Providing care at the end of life is a privilege