Getting Back To Life As A Survivor

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Can you offer some advice on how to get back to life in a non-cancer treatment world for someone who has finished treatment and is now a "survivor?" I feel a bit disjointed and unsure how to get back to normal. Also, can you recommend some resources?

Michael Corradetti, MD, PhD, Radiation Oncology Resident at Penn Medicine, responds:

Cancer survivorship is an understudied field. Therapies such as chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery can (occasionally) lead to continued side effects months or years after the treatment is complete.

Patients who have difficulty re-adjusting can sometimes derive benefit from survivorship support groups. One excellent web resource that I recommend, where you can generate a "survivorship plan," is

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

I've Come a Long Way Baby!
by Donna-Lee Lista
February 26, 2014

Where Are the Adults in the Room?
by Rodney Warner, JD

Cancer Survivors Often Have Poor Dietary Quality

Worse intake patterns than matched individuals from general population for empty calories, fiber

Young Cancer Survivors May Need Lifelong Screenings

Nov 25, 2015

Patients successfully treated at age 15 to 39 nearly 60 percent more likely to develop another cancer

Psychosocial Phone Counseling Aids Cervical Cancer Survivors

Mar 12, 2015

Improvements in depression; lasting improvement in gynecologic and cancer-specific concerns