Getting Back To Life As A Survivor

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Can you offer some advice on how to get back to life in a non-cancer treatment world for someone who has finished treatment and is now a "survivor?" I feel a bit disjointed and unsure how to get back to normal. Also, can you recommend some resources?

Michael Corradetti, MD, PhD, Radiation Oncology Resident at Penn Medicine, responds:

Cancer survivorship is an understudied field. Therapies such as chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery can (occasionally) lead to continued side effects months or years after the treatment is complete.

Patients who have difficulty re-adjusting can sometimes derive benefit from survivorship support groups. One excellent web resource that I recommend, where you can generate a "survivorship plan," is

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

I've Come a Long Way Baby!
by Donna-Lee Lista
February 26, 2014

Medicinal Mushrooms – Support and Safety During Breast Cancer

Psychosocial Phone Counseling Aids Cervical Cancer Survivors

Mar 12, 2015

Improvements in depression; lasting improvement in gynecologic and cancer-specific concerns

Cancer Survivors Need Healthful Lifestyle Advice

Feb 19, 2015

Oncology care teams should provide guidance on lifestyle change as part of survivorship care

Risk of Diabetes Up in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Survivors

Para-aortic radiation with ≥36 Gy linked to increased risk of diabetes mellitus