Plastic Baby Bottles and Cancer Risk

Question

Do plastic baby bottles cause cancer? I heard I should get some special baby bottles but was not sure if that is true or not.

Answer

Charles B. Simone, II, MD, Radiation Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds:

There has been some evidence that drinking from bottles with bisphenol A (BPA) can be harmful. This chemical is similar to a female sex hormone. However, a there is no definitive evidence of a cancer risk with drinking from bottles with BPA. More research is needed to determine if there truly is a risk. However, to be safe, consumers may wish to be cautious and look for BPA-free baby bottles. Many plastic baby bottles and sippy cups are labeled BPA free.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Cancer Risk & Prevention Webchat transcript.

Early BPA Exposure May Up Subsequent Prostate Cancer Risk

Jan 15, 2014 - Exposure to bisphenol A may increase the risk for prostate cancer later in life, according to an experimental study published online Jan. 1 in Endocrinology.