Daily Radiation

Question

Why do I have to come in everyday for radiation? Can't it be more spaced out?

Answer

Ursina Teitelbaum, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds:

Radiation requires daily visits with an absolute minimum of interruptions to acheive its goal of cell death - it tackles the tumors cell cycle and blocks ability to grow and replicate but the dosing timing is very specific. In fact, "spacing it out" might make it less effective so you might only have the side effects without the tumor fighting goal. We often support our patients through with IV fluids or nutritional support to help get them through the radiation course without interruptions or hospitalizations.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History