What To Say To Family Members With Cancer?

Question

If a member of my family has pancreatic cancer, what should I do? I feel so worthless. I want to help, but don't know what to do or say. Please help.

Answer

Ursina Teitelbaum, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds:

The question regarding a family or friend with cancer is a very important one as well and I really appreciate the question about how to best suppor them. I think offering a ride or a meal are always welcome. I am always impressed with the friends and family that spend time in our chemotherapy suites and radiation oncology waiting rooms.

Just being there is more important than saying the right thing and patients appreciate it.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History