Making a Survivorship Care Plan

Now that I completed chemotherapy for my cancer, I am nervous to not have as much contact with my oncology team. What should I know about being a "survivor" and what to look for that would be concerning?

Carolyn Vachani, RN, MSN, AOCN OncoLink Nurse Educator responds:

It is not uncommon to have feelings of uncertainty when you transition to the survivor role. Those frequent oncology visits may feel like a safety net and give you extra comfort. Know the team is always there for you! Then take the next step to survivorship by creating a survivorship care plan that talks more specifically about the psychological concerns, healthy living after cancer and health risks related to cancer treatment. You can create your own care plan at:

In addition, you may find the webinar "Cancer Survivorship: Navigating Life After Cancer" to be helpful as well. This webinar on cancer survivorship provides information, tips and resources on transitioning from patient to survivor and making the most of life after cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.

I wish u knew... the importance of survivorship care
by Timothy J. Hampshire

My Cancer Experience