African Americans should have Colonoscopy Screening at a Younger Age

Question

I recently heard that the screening age for African Americans to get a colonoscopy is starting at age 45. Why is it not 50 like other people?

Answer

Carolyn Vachani, RN, MSN, AOCN OncoLink Nurse Educator responds:

African Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer at a younger age than other ethnic groups, and African- Americans with colorectal cancer have decreased survival compared with other ethnic groups. In turn, the American College of Gastroenterology lowered the recommended age to begin screening in African Americans to 45 in 2009.

Learn more at http://patients.gi.org/gi-health-and-disease/colon-cancer-fact-sheet/#aascreening.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History