Feeding Tubes During Treatment

Question

Why do I need to get a feeding tube before I even start treatment? Can't I just wait and see how it goes?

Answer

Valaree Williams MS RD LDN, Clinical Dietitian Specialist, Department of Radiation Oncology at Penn Medicine, responds:

Adequate nutrition before, during, and after treatment is essential. Based on the individual's condition, treatment plan, nutrition needs, weight loss and other factors, it may be decided by the care team that feeding tube placement prior to starting treatment is best for your treatment plan and nutrition status. Placing a feeding tube prior to treatment will prevent the possible interruption of treatment for feeding tube placement after treatment begins and ensure adequate nutrition throughout treatment.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Most Head, Neck Surgeons Discuss Risk Factors, HPV

Sep 2, 2013 - Most head and neck surgeons discuss risk factors for head and neck cancer, including human papillomavirus, with their patients, according to a study published online Aug. 29 in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.

Complementary & Alternative Medicine