Issues with Swallowing During Treatment

Question

I have a lot of trouble swallowing and feel like there is a lump in my throat. What can I do about this?

Answer

Patricia Dooley,Associate Director of the Division of Speech Language Pathology at Penn Medicine, responds:

If you are having difficulty with swallowing, I would suggest talking to your doctor about your symptoms. A consultation with a speech pathologist for a swallowing evaluation may be warranted. Based on your symptoms and the results of the swallowing evaluation, recommendations and a rehab plan will be determined.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Most Head, Neck Surgeons Discuss Risk Factors, HPV

Sep 2, 2013 - Most head and neck surgeons discuss risk factors for head and neck cancer, including human papillomavirus, with their patients, according to a study published online Aug. 29 in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History