Chemotherapy and Radiation at the Same Time for Laryngeal Cancer

Question

I have to have chemotherapy and radiation at the same time for laryngeal cancer. Why do them at the same time (seems like it will be pretty hard) and why is this done before my surgery?

Answer

Alexander Lin, MD, Radiation Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

A large study has shown that chemotherapy and radiation, given at the same time, leads to best results with respect to control of larynx cancers, when compared to giving radiation alone or chemotherapy and radiation given separately. If your chemotherapy and radiation treatments are successful, there may not be a need for you to undergo surgery.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

The honor of being an oncologist