Communicating after Surgery

Question

I am so self-conscious about talking to people because of how I look after my surgery. I even feel like I can't communicate right in terms of my facial expressions. Can you help me deal with this?

Answer

Tracy Lautenbach MSW, LCSW, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine, responds:

Your "new normal" since your surgery may take some getting used to.You will be able to adapt however it takes time.Be kind to yourself and please consider joining a support group for people with Head and Neck Cancers. There you can meet with other people who have had surgery for Head and Neck Cancers and discuss tips and strategies for what has worked for others.You can locate a Head and Neck Cancer Support Group in your area at www.spohnc.org or by calling 1-800-377-0928.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Most Head, Neck Surgeons Discuss Risk Factors, HPV

Sep 2, 2013 - Most head and neck surgeons discuss risk factors for head and neck cancer, including human papillomavirus, with their patients, according to a study published online Aug. 29 in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.

Importance of funding cancer research