Eating after Treatment

Question

Will I ever be able to eat normal food again and not have to worry about it getting stuck?

Answer

Valaree Williams MS RD LDN, Clinical Dietitian Specialist, Department of Radiation Oncology at Penn Medicine, responds:

Your tolerance and ability to eat a variety of foods will likely improve over time after treatment. You may find a few foods that are difficult to tolerate long term. It would be beneficial to meet with a registered dietitian to discuss methods to modify your favorite foods for better tolerance and with a speech language pathologist to assist with swallowing.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Eating, Exercises Improve Diet After Pharyngeal Cancer Tx

Sep 23, 2013 - Patients who maintain eating and a regimen of swallowing exercises during treatment for pharyngeal cancers have the highest rate of return to a regular diet following treatment, according to a study published online Sept. 19 in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.

Providing care at the end of life is a privilege