Sun Protection in an Infant

Question

Can you use sunscreen lotion on a young child, less than 1 year-old?

Answer

Rachel Woods, RN, Nurse for the Surgical Dermatology Program at Penn Medicine responds:

The American Academy of Pediatrics has said to use sunscreen by 6 months of age but that limited use is all right for younger babies. The best protection is to avoid having a baby in direct sun exposure or in areas where they are at risk for burn. Their skin is very delicate.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.

Social Norms Influence Lifeguards' Safe Sun Habits

Nov 26, 2014 - Workplace safe sun policies and participation in skin cancer prevention programs both help improve the sun protection habits of lifeguards and aquatic instructors, but social norms exert the greatest influence, researchers report in the February issue of the Archives of Dermatology.