RAI Restrictions

Question

How long will I be hospitalized for the I-131, & what does the isolation include? When can I go back to work after the I-131? How soon after the I-131 can I have sex? How long do I need to avoid pregnancy?

Answer

Rachel Kelz, MD, MSCE, at Penn Medicine responds:

These questions are really import to address with your doctor who is actually familiar with your specific condition. Hospitalization for RAI is rare today. Unless you have specific medical or personal needs for isolation/hospitalization, most patients are treated in the outpatient setting. When hospitalized, the room is draped in plastic to avoid too much contamination and facilitate "clean-up" upon discharge. Most protocols involve 5 days of isolation although the time frame can vary by the dose that you receive and your medical conditions. If you visit the ATA website (www.thyroid.org) there are easy to read guidelines regarding isolation following radioactive iodine treatment.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Keywords

Bearer of Bad News
by Rodney Warner, JD
December 08, 2014

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Dual Targeting Approach Reduces Tumor Volume in Rats

Tumor necrosis/targeted ionizing radiation ups tumor doubling time in implanted liver rhabdomyocytes

Patient Confidentiality Versus Disease Prevention Reviewed

Jul 7, 2015

Preventing significant risk of disease in relatives may justify change in law

Isolating epithelial cells from breast milk may provide personalized screen for breast cancer

Apr 5, 2011