Thyroid Cancer Specialist

Question

What kind of doctor do I go to if my family doctor thinks something is wrong with my thyroid?

Answer

Rachel Kelz, MD, MSCE, at Penn Medicine responds:

If your family doctor believes that you have a thyroid problem. You should schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist. To make sure the appointment is as valuable as possible, you should arrive with all of your previous studies in hand. You should at least have blood work including thyroid function tests and an ultrasound of the neck. Make sure that you bring a disc containing the ultrasound study and the report to the appointment for the doctor to review or submit for review.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Keywords

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Treating papillary cancer confined to gland within year of diagnosis does not appear to improve survival rate

Renal and Thyroid Cancers on the Rise in U.S. Children

Sep 9, 2014

Study also finds increase in overall cancer rate among African-American children and adolescents

Radiation Exposure Affects Course of Thyroid Cancer

Jul 5, 2015

Chart review shows association between exposure, aggressive disease, and poor outcomes