What is the Thyroid?

Question

What exactly does the thyroid do and what will happen if I have to have it all removed? What changes can I expect for my body/life if my thyroid has to be removed? How will it affect me?

Answer

Kolin Hoff, MD, Endocrinologist at Penn Medicine responds:

The thyroid makes thyroid hormone. If the thyroid is removed the patient needs to take thyroid hormone. In most patients the level of thyroid hormone can be easily regulated and when appropriate there should be no symptoms.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Risks Associated With Thyroid Surgery in the Elderly Explored

Aug 27, 2014 - Compared with more youthful patients, thyroid surgery presents few additional risks when performed in elderly patients, according to a study in the October issue of the Archives of Otolaryngology -- Head & Neck Surgery