Where to Get Veterinary Oncology Care

Veterinary Oncology Care
Last Modified: September 17, 2012


Do I have to go to a specialty center like the University of PA to get treatment for my dog's cancer or is that something all vets do?

Lili Duda, VMD, MBE, DACVR Veterinary Radiation Oncologist- University of Pennsylvania, responds:


The best place to start with your pet is your primary care veterinarian. They know your pet best, and can do many of the initial tests needed to diagnose and evaluate the stage of cancer. Once a diagnosis of cancer is suspected or confirmed, consultation with a board-certified veterinary specialist is recommended. For simple cases, your primary care veterinarian may be able to obtain consultations via phone or e-mail. For more complicated cases, an in-office consultation may be needed. There are specialists in medical oncology (chemotherapy), radiation oncology, surgery, and dentistry/oral surgery. There are many on-line resources to locate a specialist in your area.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.