Treatment Options for Canine Lymphoma

Question

Is the Wisconsin protocol the most effective treatment for lymphoma? What are the chances of a cure or is this therapy really to buy her time? Is there a less expensive but maybe not too less effective treatment? I read something about using CCNU alone.

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer

CHOP-based protocols (the Wisconsin protocol is one of these) are considered to be the most effective treatment for lymphoma in dogs. These protocols use a combination of prednisone, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and doxorubicin. The chance of a cure is low, but the chance of remission is high for most dogs. Other less expensive options include prednisone alone, prednisone and CCNU (lomusine), and doxorubicin alone. I recommend that you consult with your veterinarian or an oncologist about these options.

Learn more about lymphoma in dogs.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.