Work Up of Suspected Carcinoid Tumor

Question

What tests are done to work up a suspected carcinoid tumor?

Answer

Bonnie Bennett, RN, Nurse in Gastroenterology at Penn Medicine responds.

Lab tests ordered to look for carcinoid tumor are 24 hr urine 5HIAA and Chromogranin A. It depends upon the location of the suspected tumor as to what other tests and studies are ordered. Procedures like GI endoscopies or bronchoscopies for the lungs might be ordered. Also various imaging studies: MRI, CT scans, Octreoscans may be ordered. If a tumor is found, biopsy would be recommended for a definitive diagnosis.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat.