Previous Breast Cancer and Secondhand Smoke

Li Liu, MD

Question
I am a breast cancer survivor. I never smoked. But my husband smokes and often does it at home. Being a second hand smoker, am I at higher risk of dying from this?  
Thanks!

Answer
Li Liu, MD, OncoLink editorial assistant, responds:

Dear M:  
Thank you for your interest and question.

Women who already have had one breast cancer are at higher than average risk of developing a second, new breast cancer. This is different from a recurrence of the first cancer. In addition, some studies have demonstrated that positive associations between environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) exposure and breast cancer incidence or death (Prev Med 1984 Nov; 13(6): 680-90; Am J Epidemiol 1991 Jan 15; 133(2): 208-10). If a woman has a breast cancer and is exposed to ETS, as in your situation, the probability of developing a second, new breast cancer could be even higher, although this has not been published to my knowledge.

Passive exposure to environmental tobacco smoking (ETS) is an established risk factor for adult lung cancer, acute respiratory disorders (particularly in children), reduced pulmonary function, increased risk of lower respiratory infections (e.g., pneumonia and bronchitis), and, probably, ischemic heart disease (Am J Med 1992 Jul 15; 93(1A): 38S-42S). If you have had radiation treatment for your breast cancer, the probability of developing above problems will be higher than someone who never had radiation treatment.

You should discuss above issues with you husband, and perhaps ask him to see his doctor and/or participate in smoking cessation programs.

Passive Smoking May Increase Risk of Breast, Lung Cancer

Nov 21, 2014 - In nonsmokers, exposure to secondhand smoke is associated with a modestly increased risk of breast cancer and a significantly increased risk of lung cancer, according to two studies published in the December Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention

Screening with Mammography: Looking at the Controversy