Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)

Question
My cat was diagnosed with FeLV (feline leukemia virus) with associated lymphosarcoma. His eye is affected. The vet said he will never see out of it again and that it should be taken out.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Lili Duda, VMD, Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Section Menu, responds:

Cats with FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus) associated lymphoma will have the same response to chemotherapy as do cats with FeLV without the lymphoma. The prognosis is 9-12 months median survival but that varies with the case. If the eye is not bothering the cat, it can stay in place, but if it is painful (as they can be), and truly no longer visual, then it should come out. Cats do not require binocular vision to function, and can do very well with one eye. Since this cat has FeLV, he should be strictly confined indoors anyway, because it is very contagious to other cats.

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus detected in humans due to sample contamination

Jun 2, 2011 - Murine-like gammaretroviruses, including xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, are unlikely to cause either prostate cancer or chronic fatigue syndrome in humans, and their detection in human beings is likely due to sample contamination, according to two studies published online May 31 in Science.