Timing of radiation after surgery for cervical cancer

Ken Blank, MD

Question
I would like to know the time gap required between radiotherapy and surgery regarding the management of a patient with cancer of the cervix.  
Thank you,
Dr. S

Answer
Ken Blank M.D., Editorial Assistant for OncoLink replies:

The time interval between surgery and radiation is often at the discretion of the radiation oncologist and gynecologist. In general, at least two weeks allows for adequate wound healing before the start of radiation, although this varies greatly from patient to patient.

For more information, please see OncoLink's section on the treatment of cervical cancer.

Thank you for your interest in OncoLink.

Hysterectomy Linked to Better Cervical Cancer Survival

Nov 26, 2014 - Radical hysterectomy may provide better survival outcomes compared with radiation in women with early-stage cervical cancer whose tumors are less than 6 cm in diameter, according to a study in the November issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.