Ovarian Tumor With Low Malignant Potential

Ivor Benjamin, MD

Question
Please send me any information you may have an ovarian tumor with low malignant potential. I am confused about this type cancer. My doctors disagree on whether or not it is actually a cancer. Any information would be appreciated.  
Thank you,

Answer
Ivor Benjamin, MD, Former co-Editor-in-Chief of OncoLink, responds:

Thank you for your question.

Ovarian cancer comprises malignant neoplasms arising from epithelial, stromal, and germ cells of the ovary. Epithelial tumors account for about 90% of these malignancies, and derive from the celomic epithelium (surface layer) of the ovary.

Epithelial tumors are divided into serous, mucinous, endometrioid, clear cell, Brenner, and undifferentiated histologic types (cellular appearance). The majority, about 75%, of epithelial tumors are of the serous type. In addition to these frankly malignant epithelial tumors, a subclass of low malignant potential tumors (LMP) can occur.

Tumors of low malignant potential are low-grade, relatively indolent cancers. But they are considered cancers. The likelihood for long term survival is excellent for women with LMP tumors. LMP tumors may occur in any of the cell types found for frankly invasive cancers.

Low Ovarian Cancer Detection Rate by Symptoms Alone

Dec 20, 2014 - Using symptoms alone only identifies 20 percent of women with malignant tumors, but a negative result on the symptoms index combined with a negative ultrasound result is highly indicative of a benign mass, according to a study published online July 14 in Cancer.