Fertility after Leukemia treatment

Selina M. Luger, MD

I am a 24-year-old female who had APL leukemia in august 1999. I took Ara-C, Daunorubicin, and Retnoic acid pills. I would like to try to have a baby with my husband and need to know if the chemo could have caused damage to the eggs and or if the risks of having a handicapped child are very great. I am really worried about it. I have become depressed due to thinking I might not be able to have kids. Please help me or lead me in the direction I need to go to get answers.  

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Usually the chemotherapy and pills that you received are not expected to affect fertility. If you have resumed regular menses that is a good sign. It is not safe to conceive while you are on these medications, however, if you have been off all medicines for at least 3 months, there is no increased risk of birth defects.

Catherine and Finn
December 01, 2015

Pediatric High-Risk Leukemia Survival Has Improved Over Time

Jul 25, 2011

Improved AML/ALL outcomes following allogeneic, non-allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation

Engineered Immune Cells Lead to Leukemia Remission

Mar 25, 2013

Treatment with autologous engineered T cells is effective bridge to potentially curative therapy

Therapy-Related Leukemia Risk Varied From 1975 to 2008

Feb 19, 2013

Risk after chemotherapy varies depending on initial cancer and treatment practices