Secondary Leukemia after breast cancer treatment

Selina M. Luger, MD

Question

My Mom has been recently diagnosed w/ AML and I was wondering if there was any information on "therapy related AML". Her bone marrow biopsy showed that her leukemia was caused by chemotherapy she had in 2/95 for breast cancer.
Thank you for your time  

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Unfortunately, therapy that we use for the treatment of breast cancer as well as other cancers has been associated with later development of leukemia, or cancer of the bone marrow. Although one can never be absolutely certain that the leukemia is caused by the breast cancer treatment, there are certain things that are suggestive. Certain types of chemotherapy cause leukemia to occur anywhere from 18 months to 3 years after the treatment, others don't cause leukemia for up to 5-7 years. Sometimes when we look at the DNA or chromosomes in the leukemia cells, there are changes that suggest that the leukemia came from the prior therapy. This information might be helpful to your mother's doctors when they decide what therapies to use to treat her, but that is generally guided by other factors, such as your mother's age, what her other chemotherapy was, her general health, etc.

ASBMR: Treatments Improve Bone Health in Breast Cancer

Oct 20, 2014 - Among breast cancer patients who receive adjunctive hormonal therapy with aromatase inhibitors, secondary causes of bone loss can be successfully treated, according to research presented this week at the annual meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, held from Sept. 11 to 15 in Denver.

Screening with Mammography: Looking at the Controversy