Instructions after a colposcopy

Christina S. Chu, MD

Question

I have just experienced a colposcopy procedure as I was found to have mild dysplasia. Is there any special information or precautions after the procedure?
Thanks.  

Answer

After a colposcopy, you should avoid putting anything in your vagina for a week or two to allow the biopsy sites to heal. Specifically, this means no douching, tampons, or sexual intercourse. Otherwise, there are no special precautions you need to take. Don't forget to check with your health care provider to obtain the results of your biopsies and to find out about your recommended follow up.

The usual follow up after the diagnosis of a molar pregnancy involves checking the blood level of HCG, a marker physicians use to follow persistence or recurrence of the disease, to ensure that the level stays negative for at least 6-12 months after initial diagnosis. Patients are usually counseled to use effective contraception during this time. Afterwards, the risk of additional problems is rare, though after having one molar pregnancy, the risk of having another is slightly increased.