Link between cervical and ovarian cancers

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question

Twenty-three years ago I had cervical cancer and a hysterectomy was done. Now I have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Is there a link between the two and is my ovarian cancer a secondary cancer. I have been on hormone replacement for the past 10 years. 

Answer

There is no link between cervical and ovarian cancers, and no reason to think that your ovarian cancer is a reoccurrence of the cervical cancer you had 23 years ago. The evidence is that hormone replacement therapy does not affect the risk of ovarian cancer. I hope you do as well with the ovarian cancer as you did with the cervical.

Hormonal Contraceptive Link to HPV, Cervical Cancer Examined

Sep 22, 2014 - Women using hormonal contraception who tested positive for the human papillomavirus are not at increased risk of developing cervical cancer, according to a study published in the May issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. However, use of depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) is linked with higher risk of oncogenic HPV infection.