Normal pregnancy after having a molar pregnancy

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question

My question is in respect to having a normal pregnancy after having a molar pregnancy and choriocarcinoma, have you had any patients in your practice that have had a normal pregnancy after all this. Also what are my chances?  

Answer

Molar pregnancy and gestational choriocarcinoma are unusual tumors of the placenta, occurring in about 1 in 1500 live births in this country. Many of these tumors can be cured without chemotherapy, and even those that have recurred or spread are often completely curable with chemotherapy. The risk of a molar pregnancy in a subsequent pregnancy is only about 1.5%; so most women who have had them go on to have normal pregnancies.

Neonatal Outcomes Examined in Cancer Pregnancies

Aug 1, 2014 - Pregnancies in women with cancer tend to have good outcomes overall, but have been associated with high rates of induced labor and newborn admission to a neonatal intensive care unit, according to a study published online Oct. 19 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.