Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for DCIS

Kevin R. Fox, MD
Last Modified: October 27, 2002

Question

I have ductal carcinoma in-situ (DCIS) and lobular carcinoma in-situ (LCIS) in my left breast. My surgeon has recommended a total mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy (slnb). I am concerned that the procedure is not necessary. 

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Unfortunately, there is a substantial difference of opinion regarding sentinel lymph node biopsy (slnb) in patients with DCIS. Sentinel lymph node biopsy may be performed on patients with large areas of DCIS. Any patient should have a second opinion if they are unsure about the procedure and recommendations from their physicians. In fact, most good physicians welcome a second opinion. There is no emergency regarding the mastectomy for DCIS so you do have some time to have additional consultations.

SABCS: Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Less Likely in Black Women

Dec 6, 2012 - Compared with white women, black women with node-negative breast cancer are significantly less likely to receive the less invasive sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer staging, according to a study presented at the annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, held from Dec. 4 to 8.

The Controversy of Screening