When to treat CLL

I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) about 1 1/2 years ago. Today my white count is 27.5. I am going to start a five-week treatment of Rituxan. Is it really time to start? From what I have read, it seems early. 

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

The decision to treat patients with CLL is not based on the absolute white blood count. We take into account how rapidly the white blood count rises as well as the effect the CLL has had on the liver, the spleen, the lymph nodes and the other blood counts (hemoglobin and platelets). It would be reasonable to discuss with your doctor what the reasons are for starting treatment at this time.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

Fludarabine, Alemtuzumab Combo Ups Survival in CLL

But combination therapy is associated with more adverse events than fludarabine monotherapy

FDA Expands Imbruvica Approval to Include CLL

Feb 14, 2014

Approval of Imbruvica (ibrutinib) expanded to include people with chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Long-Term Remissions of CLL in First Personalized Cell Tx Trial

Sep 3, 2015

T cells reprogrammed to contain chimeric antigen receptor targeting CD19 protein on B cells