Average response to Femara

Question

How long does the drug "Femara" last? What is the next drug of choice after that? I was on Tamoxifen for 18 months and I have been on Femara for 15 months with very good results. 

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

The average response to Femara is about a year. In my experience, it can last much longer in some patients. Fifteen months is a very good response and encouraging. You seem to be doing well and it would be standard to stay on your current treatment regimen. If this treatment stopped working, the next most common options could be Aromasin or Faslodex. Also, there are always clinical trials available evaluating new treatment regimens. You may want to consider visiting the OncoLink/Emergingmed Clinical Trials section to see what is available.

Cisplatin Linked to Complete Response in Breast Cancer

Aug 2, 2014 - Breast cancer patients who are carriers of mutations in a breast cancer susceptibility gene are more likely to have a complete response after treatment with cisplatin, according to a study published online Dec. 14 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. In a related study published in the same journal at the same time, researchers report that geriatric assessment domains can predict treatment response and mortality in elderly breast cancer survivors.

The Controversy of Screening