Physician qualifications

Last Modified: September 26, 2003

Share article


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"
My cervical biopsy results indicated that high-grade pre cancer cells were present and I am scheduled for surgery in a month. I was told that a gynecological oncologist would have a better success rate that the ob/gyn would. Is this true and if so, how would I go about having the gyn/oncologist do the procedure rather than the ob/gyn? Any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  


Christina S. Chu, MD, Assistant Professor of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, responds:

You did not mention what kind of surgery you were scheduled to undergo, but in general, most general gynecologists are very qualified to perform hysterectomy, LEEP or cone biopsy as treatment for severe dysplasia of the cervix. However, if you would like to seek a second opinion, or another surgeon to manage your case, I would recommend that you ask for a referral to a gynecologic oncologist in your area. When you go for your appointment, you should bring copies of your relevant Pap tests, any colposcopic biopsies, and your doctor's office notes with you.

I Wish You Knew

How cancer patients have changed my life

View More

Blogs and Web Chats

OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.

OncoLink OncoPilot

Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!

Learn More