Pregnancy after Hodgkin's Disease

Question

I had treatments for Hodgkin's Disease almost three years ago. I have had very normal blood levels and clear x-rays and CT scans since the end of treatment. I recently found out I am pregnant; my concern is that this pregnancy will cause a relapse of my cancer. 

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There is fortunately no data to suggest that there is any increased risk of relapse with pregnancy, in Hodgkin's Disease. Although you will not be able to get the routing scans and x-rays, you should follow-up with your oncologist on your regular schedule during the pregnancy.

Higher CV Risks Seen for Hodgkin's Lymphoma Survivors

Apr 29, 2015 - Physicians and patients should be aware of the persistently increased risk of cardiovascular diseases throughout life after Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to a report published online April 27 in JAMA Internal Medicine.