Endometrioid adenocarcinoma 30 years after a hysterectomy

Question

My mother is 81 years old. She had total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingio-oopherectomy in 1973. Last month she was diagnosed with endometroid adenocarcinoma. The lymph nodes were positive 3 out of 5. If she had the hysterectomy 30 years ago how did the endometroid cancer develop? Could it have remained dormant all those years? What are the treatments/possible outcomes of this sort of diagnosis? 

Answer

Your mother's situation is very unusual. You did not mention if the tumor was only found in the lymph nodes, or in other areas of the pelvis. I'm not sure that I have a good explanation for the occurrence of endometrioid adenocarcinoma 30 years after a hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries. As I see it, if there was intraperitoneal disease present at the time of your mother's surgery, there are a few possibilities: 1) an ovarian remnant was left at the time of the initial hysterectomy which eventually developed into an endometrioid-type ovarian cancer, 2) a primary peritoneal carcinoma of endometrioid-type has occurred (these are exceedingly rare, and fewer than 3 cases have been reported), 3) "dormant" endometrial cancer (or endometriosis that became cancer) has persisted for 30 years and finally became clinically apparent. I don't find any of these options particularly likely, so I'm not sure that I have a good explanation for the disease your mother is suffering.

Treatment will depend very much on where the tumor was located. If the tumor was only in her lymph nodes, her doctors may recommend radiation. If the disease was widespread, they may recommend chemotherapy.

Article concludes decision to remove ovaries at time of hysterectomy should be made with caution

Mar 18, 2010 - The decision to perform prophylactic bilateral oophorectomy at the same time as hysterectomy should be taken with caution as it may do more harm than good, especially in women not at high risk for development of ovarian or breast cancers, according to a review published in the March issue of the Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology.