Calcifications of the Cervix

Question

I had a vaginal ultrasound for heavy bleeding and they found calcifications on my cervix. What are these and what should I expect? Thank you.

Answer

Most causes of calcifications of the cervix are benign in nature. They may be a result of prior injury to the cervix, such as from normal labor and delivery, dilatation and curettage (D&C) procedures, cervical biopsies, abortion, infection, etc. In other cases, various salts may crystallize in the tissue and cause this appearance on ultrasound, as may old resolving blood in the tissue. Very rarely, calcifications in the cervix may be a sign of cancer . Given your history of heavy bleeding, you may want to discuss the results with your doctor and see if any additional tests are indicated.