OncoGel and Ovarian Cancer

Question

Do you have any knowledge or experience with use of OncoGel to deliver paclitaxel directly into ovarian cancer masses? I have recurrent disease. Thank you.

Answer

OncoGel is an experimental, long-acting form of paclitaxel chemotherapy that is currently undergoing clinical testing for direct needle injection into tumor masses. We will await the results of these trials. However, direct needle injection is unfortunately not likely to play any role in this disease, as ovarian cancer typically spreads beyond the injected mass to involve many different areas and organs within the abdominal cavity.

Society of Gynecologic Oncology document reviews etiology, risks, early detection

Oct 14, 2010 - he Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (SGO) has issued a comprehensive white paper -- as part the organization's professional GynecoLogic Cancer Collaborative education program -- that provides an overview of and background on the screening, diagnosis, and management of ovarian cancer. The report is published in the October issue of Gynecologic Oncology.