Oophorectomy to Lower Breast Cancer Risk

Question

I am at high risk for developing breast cancer and am contemplating having my ovaries removed. How much would I be decreasing my risk if having this procedure done?

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Prophylactic oophorectomy is felt to reduce breast cancer risk by as much as 50% in women who have a high risk for developing breast cancer in their lifetimes.

Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy lowers risk of ovarian cancer, first breast cancer diagnoses

Sep 1, 2010 - Among women with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations, risk-reducing mastectomy is linked to a lower risk of breast cancer, and risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy is associated with numerous benefits, including lower risk of ovarian cancer and first breast cancer diagnosis, according to research published in the Sept. 1 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Screening with Mammography: Looking at the Controversy